To avoid choking, don't offer the following foods to children under 4 years of age:
· Nuts and seeds
· Whole grapes, cherry tomatoes
· Whole kernel corn
· Hot dogs
· Hard, raw fruits or vegetables such as apples, celery and carrots
· Chunks of meat or poultry
· Sticky foods, such as peanut butter, which can get stuck in the back of the mouth
· Hard candy, gum drops and jelly beans
For toddlers and preschoolers, chop grapes, meat, poultry, hot dogs and raw vegetables and fruits into small pieces (about ½ inch or smaller).
Community Service Programs of West Alabama (CSP), Inc.’s Head Start/Early Head Start, Child Care Partnership, and Early Intervention programs engage families and encourage healthy lifestyle choices. Safe and healthy children are ready to learn and explore their world.