By Amy Poore
Well, guess what? Spring is almost here - though I'm sure after the recent wintry weather it's hard to believe it. But look at the calendar - see? It IS going to happen, and that means now is the time to start thinking about swimsuit season. That means, of course, that healthy recipes are in order.
It’s tough to keep up a healthy eating regimen, but it’s mucheasier if you have recipes that are also really, really good. Honestly, up until this past year, I haven’t found many recipes that were both healthy and delicious. But I did find a few, and I’m sharing one with you this month! This chopped kale salad is satisfying and nutritious.
Chopped Kale Salad
- 6 cups of chopped kale (chopped into small bites)
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- ½ cup Craisins
- 1½ cup cooked, whole grain quinoa
- Dijon vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons prepared Dijon mustard (store bought is great)
- 3 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad: In a large bowl, toss together the kale, almonds, Craisins and quinoa. Stir in dressing.
For the vinaigrette: Whisk together the mustard and the vinegar, slowly whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve alone or with a protein of your choice.
Amy Poore is a new mom, a wife and a foodie. To see more of Amy's delicious recipes, visit her blog, Poore Amy, at www.pooreamy.com
Photo: Amy Poore
Latest from Super User
- Dec. 30 to Jan. 2 Birmingham Life Time Open to Public & Hosts Commitment Day 5K on Jan. 1
- Alabama Students Traveling To San Diego For FCCLA Champioships And 2016 Leadership Event
- The Birmingham Zoo to Host 2nd Annual Zoo, Brews and Full Moon BBQ Event
- Spotlight: Bobby A. Hill, CPA - Beck & Hill, LLC
- Best Spots to Launch My Boat near Birmingham?