Key Ingredients -
· Ecamscule: newly approved and a great UVA ray defense. But Not cheap.
· Avobenzone: not a good ingredient for sunscreens, because it breaks down when exposed to sunlight. Avoid avobenzone if you can.
· Titanium dioxide/zinc oxide: trusty and used for years. Less expensive option compared to ecamscule. Best option for babies and sensitive skin.
Another factor, the SPF of a sunscreen, also plays into the decision-making process. The lowest SPF in your arsenal should stop at SPF 15. This SPF level multiplies by a factor of 15: if you burn in 10 minutes without sunscreen, multiply that by 15 and you can go 150 minutes for burning, according to experts at WebMD. That doesn’t help those with fair skin or those who have skin cancer in the family history. If that’s the case, stick with SPFs 30 or higher.
The world finally learned its lesson on fake tans and recognizes that sun block is an investment, not just a whim. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to bleed money to defend your skin. Protect your melanin with these affordable UV-blocking warriors for the best natural (and healthy) tan this summer.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Sunscreen Stick, SPF 50
· best for quick, touch-up applications
· jam-packed with ingredients like shea butter and coconut oil
· prevents dark spots, uneven skin tone and aging
Jergen’s Natural Glow, SPF 20
· provides broad-spectrum defense
· use as a gradual self-tanner
· doubles as a moisturizer
· skin tone specific
Coppertone Sport Spray, SPF 30
· quick-dry formula
· sweatproof and waterproof
· spray nozzle provides effortless application
Kiss My Face Factor for Face and Neck, SPF 30
· sensitive skin friendly
· light and easy absorption
· doesn’t cause acne
Coppertone NutraShield with Dual Defense Lotion, SPF 30
· featherweight formula
· provides skin with vitamins A, B5 and E
· ingredients include Indian gooseberry extract
Banana Boat Ultra Defense UltraMist, SPF 85
· aloe-laced formula
· mist provides quick absorption
· sweat and kid friendly
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sunscreen, SPF 70
· combination and sensitive skin friendly
· not sweatproof
· not greasy
*This list is for entertainment and general information and not intended to be medical advice or replace the input of a trained physician. For more help and information on picking the right sunscreen for you, visit your local dermatologist or researching online at websites such as WebMD.com or health.com .